|Manufacturers of plugs
in CH, DK, ES, IT and LI
logos and information are restricted to companies and brands of
that is shown in the museum.
Countries and manufacturers are listed in alphabetical order.
Denmark, Italy and Switzerland have 3-pin, earthed plugs, but earth pin configurations differs in each country. Liechtenstein has adopted the Swiss standard. Spain use nowadays Schuko plugs and sockets, but in some regions Swiss and Italian material can be found occasionally.
Abbreviations are explained at the end of the list.
Sources: catalogs and internet sites of the given companies and Wikipedia.
® shown logos are registered trademarks of given companies or brands. Logos may not be copied, except for strict encyclopedic purposes in relation to plugs and sockets.
|Bruhn & Hansen. Founded in 1920
as Bruhn & Hansen in Copenhagen. In the 1950s the company name
changed to B&H el-artikler. Production moved in 1997 to
Head office and warehouse are based in Fredrikshavn. In 2010 the
company has given the more internationally sounding name Elworks
|Dansk Apparat Fabrik. Trade name
that for a while has been used for electrical appliances made by the Dansk
Køleautomatik og Apparat Fabrik, better known as
company was founded in 1933 in Nordborg.
||Lauritz Knudsen (LK). In 1893
Lauritz Knudsen founded in Copenhagen the Mechaniske Etablissement.
started manufacturing watches, but soon realized that electricity
would change society radically, and switched to development and
production of electrical equipment.
In 1968 LK merged with NES (see below); for a while the company was renamed LK-NES.
In 1995 LK merged with the Finnish electricity group Lexel A/S. In 2003 Lexel became an integral part of the French Schneider Electric. Two years later LK became a division of Schneider Electric Danmark A/S. The trade name LK remained in use.
|H. Mogensen A/S. When the company, based in Herlev (suburb of Copenhagen), was founded is unknown. Export could have been important since each of the HM plugs in the collection has Danish, Dutch and Belgian certification marks. Information on internet suggests that around 1990 the company became part of A/S LK El-Artikler (source).|
|Nordisk Elektricitets Selskab (NES).
In 1908 Jensen (smith) and Jacobsen (watchmaker) founded the company Moderne
Mekanik in Valby. In 1913 the company was renamed Nordisk
Electricitets Selskab (Nordic Electricity Company). NES and LK (see
above) merged in 1968. The factory in Valby was closed in 1976.
||Logo of unknown company or brand, found on Danish material in the museum collection.|
logo has been found on a classic dual multi-plug (see no. 11).
If you recognize the logo, please contact me. Find the address on the start page.
||4 BOX s.r.l.
Founded in Milano in 2012 by Arturo Iossa Fassano and three companions (hence the
name 4 box). Arturo Iossa has followed the footsteps of his grandfather,
Augusta Iossa, who started in 1925 the production of electrical
equipment and wiring material, making electricity available homes in
southern Italy. The modern manufacturer 4 BOX focuses on
producing innovative socket designs for Italian, Schuko and USB plugs.
|Andronio S.p.A. Founded in 1937 and
specialized in production of appliance cords with PVC and rubber
moulded plugs and connectors. Production facility is based in Miradolo
|Bticino S.p.A. In 1936 brothers
Arnoldo, Luigi and Ermanno Bassani founded in Varese (VA) the company Ticino
Interrutori Elettrici (Ticino Electric Switches); in 1948 renamed
Bassani SpA when the product range was enlarged to all types of
domestic electrical components. In 1974 the company renamed Bassani
Ticino. In 1989 Bassani Ticino was acquired by the French Legrand group
and the name changed to Bticino. The company is present on several
markets worldwide. Italian standard type plugs and sockets are still
used in Chile, Uruguay and occasionally in Spain.
|Elettroplast S.p.A. Founded in
Florence; when and by whom is unknown. In the 1970s and '80s many EP
plugs, made of aminoplast, have been exported to Belgium and the
Netherlands. Processing of thermosetting resins by EP in Florence ended in
the 1990s. At that time the company was renamed Elettrotecnica EP.
Further details about the company have not been found.
|Gewiss S.p.A.. Founded in 1970 by
Domenico Bosatelli in Cenate Sopra (BG). He realized that technopolymers (thermosetting resins) would be ideal for
production of domestic, electrical applications. The German word Gewiss
means 'sure', and was chosen to emphasize the certainty of good design
Production focuses now on domotics, applications in buildings and
construction sites, and lighting. The company is active in about 80
|OVA. Electro-technical company
founded in 1963 by Giulio Bargellini in Pieve di Cento (BO). He
chose the brand name OVA, which stands for Ohm, Volt, Ampere. The
company produces plugs, sockets and related electrical accessories, UPS
systems and became a leader in the production of emergency lighting
systems. G. Bargellini S.p.A. was acquired by Schneider Electric in
|Scame Parre S.p.A. In 1963 Giovanni
Scainelli founded, together with Luigi Piccinali and the brothers
Gianni and Cornelio Palamini, the electro-technical company Scame
(Scainelli Materiale Elettrico) in Parre (BG). The first
insulated nails to fasten electrical cables, soon followed by
electrical installation materials. From the 1990s several joint
ventures were started, followed by branches in Spain, Slovakia and
France and several more countries worldwide.
|A. A. & G. Stucchi S.r.l. In 1944 the
electro-technical company Electra was founded in Lecco. Six years later
Aristide, Arturo and Giuseppe Stucchi renamed the company A.A.G.
Stucchi. Production started with lampholders. Stucchi introduced a
home-working system in 1961. It had a big impact on both the local
community and company. From the 1990s Stucchi opened branches in
several European countries and elsewhere. The company moved in 1998 to
Olginate (LC) The range of products is now fully focused on lighting.
Traditional plugs are no longer produced.
|Veto. Industrie Materiale
Veto SpA in Milano could be the company that has used the VETO
shown on plugs in the museum collection (see nos
10- 11). Details about the company have not been found. It seems
likely that the company does not exist anymore.
The brand name VETO has been registered in 1967 by Veto Switchgears & Cables Ltd in Jaipur, India. However, this still existing company has a very different logo. It is unknown whether there have been any relation between the Italian and Indian company.
|Vimar. Founded in 1945 by Walter
Viaro and Francesco Gusi in Marostica (VI). They specialized
in products for residential use of electricity, initially based on
thermosetting resins, later also glass and porcelain. Patents for
socket shutters in 1968 and in 1975 for multi-standard (Bpresa:
10A and 16A) outlets were of great renown. In 2011 Vimar acquired the
Italian Elvox company that produces home and building automation
|VLM SpA. Founded in 1945 in
Bruccinasco (MI). Manufacturer of electrical components, notably
switches, plugs and lamp sockets. VLM is part of the Relco Group
(founded in 1967). The group focuses in lighting components. From 1969
VLM produces lampholders and switches for Scame Parre (see above).
of unknown companies or brands, found on Italian material in
the museum collection.
If you recognize these logos, please contact me. Find the address on
the start page.
|on socket no. 13
||both on adapter plug (see 24-26)|
Founded in 1975 by Bernhard Weingartner and the owners of NeuElektrik
AG, Gebhard Sprenger and Josef Gstoehl. The company, based in Schaan,
designs, manufacture and market electrical and electronic
interconnection systems. Products are in particular designed for on
stage performances using audio, video, power, lighting and data
In 1926 D. Buenaventura and Josa Camarasa incorporated in their metal
workshop the production of electrical equipment under the name Fábrica
Electrotécnica Josa. They started in 1954 the production of wiring
and industrial material. Soon thereafter lighting components were added
to the product range. In 2008 BJC became integrated into the Low
Voltage Unit of Siemens Building Technologies Division. The BJC
lighting division was transferred to the Siemens owned Osram company.
BJC is based in Rubi (Barcelona).
founded in 1972 as a division of BJC (see above). In 1974 production
facilities were build in Puente La Reina (Navarra). In 1993 it became a
part of the French company Schneider Electric and was renamed Eunea
Merlin Gerin (M.G. was acquired a year earlier by Schneider).
Eurea is still producing electrical accessories in Puente La Reina. Merlin Gerin migrated to another division of Schneider Electric.
|Industrias Jangar S.A..
Family owned company, founded in 1961 in Zaragoza. Thermosetting resins
are used for production of electrical accessories ans wiring devices.
More details have not been found.
|Niessen. In 1914 Guillermo Niessen*
founded the Fábrica Electrotécnica Guillermo Niessen in
Rentería, province Guipúzcoa
(in Basque: Errenteria, Gipuzkoa). Because of German connections he was
the first in Spain in the mid 1920s allowed to use Bakelite. Besides
electrical accessories, the Bakelite press facility was also used for
all sorts of other products. The company became one of the largest
employers in the region. In the 1960s Niessen started collaboration
with the German company Busch-Jaeger. The deep economic crises in the
1970s forced the Niessen family to sell the company to Busch-Jaeger, at
that time part of Brown, Boveri & Cie. After merge of BBC with
Asea, Niessen became part of the ABB Group in 1996. The large
ABB Niessen plant is still located in Oyarzun (Oiartzun), close to
* German wine merchant in Bordeaux, who left France at the outbreak of World War I.
Founded in Burgos by Julio and Jose Cano Pereda in (ca.) 1941. The
initially small company grew rapidly in the 1950s
when the Franco administration opened a new industrial expansion area
in Burgos to develop the poor region. Under the direction of Julio Cano
Pereda, Plastimetal became the largest company in Burgos. However,
after his death in 1991 the company was unable to solve financial
issues with government institutions and Plastimetal was forced to close
|Simón Electric S.A..
In 1916 Arturo Simón started the production of lamp holders in a small
workshop in Olot (Catalonia). The range of products was expanded with a
range of low voltage electrical equipment. In 1972 the company moved
tor Barcelona. The Simon Group has now 22 subsidiaries in countries
around the world and 17 overseas production plants. Simón products are
sold in more than 90 countries worldwide.
|Portalamparas y Accesorios Solera S.A..
In 1967 Don Mariano Verdejo Solera and his wife, Mrs Generosa Monfort
Ortí founded Solera Pequeño Material Elétrico (Solera small
electrical materials) in
Hospitalet (Barcelona). In 1973 more space for the growing business was
found in Cañete (Cuenca). Company headquarter moved in 1984 to Paterna
(Valencia) for more efficient logistics. Don Mariano Verdejo died in
1997; his son, Don Carlos Verdejo Monfort, became director of the
company. He started modernization and expansion of the facilities. In
2008 an additional production center was opened in Paterna.
|Superfil S.A., Fabrica Material
Electrico in San Adrián de Besós (Barcelona).
No infomation has been found about the company, except a part of a 1973 Superfil catalog. It is most likely that the company does not exist anymore. It is unknown whether the company has been closed or is acquired by others.
of unknown companies or brands, found on classic Spanish material in
If you recognize a logo, please contact me. Find the address on the start page.
|on plugs 13c,d
|| on plugs 14-16
and nos 20-25
The Amacher Elektrotechnik und Apparatenbau has been founded in
late 1930s in Allschwil (BL). The company was acquired in 2005 by the
German Hager Group. Production of electrical accessories moved in
2011 to Hager Schweiz in Emmenbrück (LU). The
company still produces electrical accessories for the Swiss market, but
the trade name Amacher was withdrawn in 2014.
|F. Baillod S.A..
The company is related to, or part of INCA S.A, Plastic in La
Chaux-de-Fonds (NE). Information about F. Baillod S.A - except a
digital catalog - has not been found, nor given. The catalog shows a
large range of SEV and CEE type plugs and sockets.
|Electro-Mica AG. Family (Hamann ?)
owned company, founded in 1931 in Mollis (GL). Manufacturer of
thermoplast and duroplast plugs, sockets and switches. Their modular
design results in a large choice of models based on a limited number of
|Feller AG. In 1909 Adolf Feller
takes over the Handelsgeschäft für elektrotechnische Artikel David
Bollier in Horgen (ZH). Import limitations during WW I forced
Feller to start its own production of switches, sockets and plugs.
Adolf Feller died in 1931; management was taken over by his wife Emma
and daughter Elisabeth. Until 1992 Feller remained family owned.
In that year the company was sold to Merlin Gerin. Two years
later the French company
Schneider Electric acquired Merlin Gerin, including Feller.
|Werstatt für Gestaltung AG.
Founded in 1976 by Richard Litscher. Workshop for Swiss design of
graphics, fashion accessories, furniture and industrial products. Sales
of products by DiscountBros in Zürich, an online shop closely related to WfG AG.
|Max Hauri AG. In 1947 Max Hauri
started in Bischofszell (TG) manufacturing and distribution of
electrical components. The company has production facilities in
Switzerland, Eastern Europe and Far East. The current director, Daniel
Hauri, is also CEO of Elbet Holding AG in Bischofszell. The holding
facilitates a group of - mainly Swiss - electro-technical companies.
|Resista Electric S.A.,
founded in 1984 and based in Renens (VD). Company was specialized in
production of unbreakable, and oil and acid resistant plugs and
connectors. Resista Electric was liquidated in 2014.
|Schurter Holding AG. The Swiss
Schurter company was founded in 1933 by Heinrich Schurter in Luzern. In
1990 it became the Schurter Holding AG. The Group consists
of 22 companies in 17 countries. They are coordinated from three hubs:
Luzern (Europe), Santa Rosa (America) and Singapore (Asia). Main products are fuses, IEC
60320 connectors and extension cords, circuit breakers and EMC filters. Until 2015
the Group was managed by the Schurter family.
|A. Steffen AG. Founded in 1963 by
Alfred Steffen in Würenlos (AG). In 1972 the company moved to the
neighbor municipal district Spreitenbach. The company is both
manufacturer and business firm. Steffen own
products comprise among others domestic plugs, lockable plug-connector
cable reels, LED light and solar power components. In addition to this,
Steffen sells Electro-Mica switches and sockets.
|Tschudin & Heid AG. In 1900
Alphonse Tschudin and Fritz Heid have taken over Revue Thommen,
company specialized in manufacturing precision parts for the clock
industry. In 1931 the factory in Waldenburg (BL) was renamed Tschudin
& Heid. The still active company develops and produces
precision parts for medical, measuring, clock industry and mechanical
In 1945, Tschudin & Heid acquired J.J. Buser AG, Kunststoffpresswerk elektronischer Artikel in Basel. Buser's press work allowed Tschudin & Heid to add electrical accessories to their range of products, which proved to be very profitable. The trademark JJB remained in use for many years. In 1960, a branch named TH-contact, was founded in Reinach (BL) for manufacturing electro-technical equipment, as switches, plugs and sockets. In 2002 switch production has been sold to SAIA Burgess in Murten (FR). Plugs and sockets have been acquired by Max Hauri AG (see above). The branch in Reinach was closed in 2005.
|WAROB. The plastic press and
injection works and production of electrical
accessories company Warob, Müller & Bürgin started in 1945 in
Courrendlin (JU). The company was acquired by PWF
Kunststofftechnik AG, founded in 1994 in
Laupersdorf (SO)*. Trade name Warob is still used for SEV 1011 10 and
Amp plugs, connectors and appliance inlets.
* Swiss branch of the German firma PWF, founded in 1969 in Hamburg.
Rüdi Jaisli founded in 1968 the electro-technical company R. Jaisli
& Co. in Zürich. The manufacturer of switches, Xamax AG was
acquired in 1987 and the company was renamed Jaisli-Xamax AG. Jaisli
sold the company in 2008 to three partners; the head office moved to
Dietikon (ZH). Branches were opened in Basel (2010) and Bern (2012).
The company focuses now on photovoltaic systems and KNX systems for
of unknown companies or brands, found on Swiss material in the museum
If you recognize a logo, please contact me. Find the address on the start page.
|on T12 plug
|on T2 and
|on T1 plug|| on T12 plug and
|on T1 plug|
Corporation limited by share ownership:
AG = Aktiengesellschaft (CH, LI)
A/S = Aktieselskab (DK)
S.A. = Société Anonyme (CH) / Sociedad Anónima (ES)
SpA = Società per Azioni (IT)
S.r.l. = Società a responsabilità limitati (IT): limited liability
company (comparable to German GmbH).
BG - Bergamo BO = Bologna LC = Lecco MI = Milano PV = Pavia VA = Varese VI = Vicenza
AG = Aargau BL = Basel-Landschaft FR = Freiburg /
Fribourg GL = Glarus JU = Jura LU = Luzern
NE = Neuchâtel SO = Solothurn TG = Thurgau
VD = Vaud ZH = Zürich
|D i g i t a l M u s e u m o f||P l u g s a n d S o c k e t s|